Automobile Vermorel type L

Founded in 1893 by Victor Vermorel in Villefranche-sur-Saône, the company initially specialized in agricultural tools and equipment.

In 1898, he partnered with François Pilain, the founder of a company manufacturing petrol-powered cars, and acquired his company. This marked the creation of Vermorel’s automotive division.

François Pilain left in 1901 to found the Pilain Automobile Company. His son, Émile Pilain, later founded the Rolland-Pilain company in Tours. Simple in design but robust, Vermorel automobiles gained an excellent reputation, notably through their participation in races and rallies.

In 1914, the Vermorel establishments turned to the production of commercial vehicles to meet the army’s needs, supplying more than 700 vehicles during the First World War.

The company, which had always maintained both its agricultural machinery and automobile activities, struggled to develop its automotive division, which became increasingly uncompetitive during the 1920s compared with major specialized manufacturers such as Renault and Peugeot.

The company definitively stopped automobile production in 1930. Vermorel then returned to manufacturing agricultural and viticultural machinery.

In 1953, the company merged with the Philips & Pain establishments of Montrouge to form Philips & Pain & Vermorel.

The company ceased all production in 1965.

  • Bodywork: Torpedo body with folding jump seats
  • Power: 12 hp / Serial number: 1390
  • Engine: Twin-block inline 4-cylinder engine, side valves and T-head, 2,064 cc (74 × 120 mm), developing 20 horsepower (12 HP)
  • Gearbox: 4-speed
  • Top speed: 34 mph
  • Body: Wooden body
  • Seats (including folding jump seats) and original convertible top